The Bartender

I wrote this poem for a creative writing class this week. It was paired with the image below, taken by one Ralph Hickman in September of 2017. Interpret it as you like.

The Bartender

Today’s a very special day
You can drink your heart away
To speak with eloquence
Is to waste your fucking time
It’s sublime
When your mind
Rolls behind your eyes
Oh wait I think I mixed that up
Have I had too much to drink?

She’s moving back and forth
A force tied to the Earth
She knows these drinks
Like the back of her hand
While my mind moves in quicksand
It stands to belief
She’s not just the relief
She’s the engine
Of the goddamn car

I suppose
That all their heart’s in repose
Are in response to her
Serving the drinks
In the way that suits her
They’re amazed
By all her tossing and shaking
Making drinks
In a way you never seen before

She’s like an angel
Angelo di alcool
Yelling to her boss about
Some kinda school
That’s she’s saving for
While still taking orders for drinks
Give her a
Sainthood, no,
Give her checks in ink

But as these men crowd her,
Her mind starts to doubt her.
She’s not one for crowds or,
What might happen after
She starts shouting louder
To mother and father
And begging to save her
From these walking disasters
In

Out

In

Out

That mem’ry replays
Her mind goes ablaze
With images
Of what he did
And how he did it
She runs to the kitchen
With tears in her eyes
They wouldn’t listen to her then
And they can’t hear her now

I sip my small drink
What could I do?
I’m not allowed back there
And neither are you
It’s a lot like that poem
That you’ll hear from your boo
Roses are red
And trauma never goes away.
Go figure.

Comments

Popular Posts